HMH Pt.1 (Time and City)

Stuff included:

• Time and the City, Terence Davies 2008 
  • Last of England, Derek Jarman, 1988
  • Sentimental Journey, Araki 2015
  • Ray's a Laugh, Richard Billingham 2000
  • Musique concrete theory by Pierre Schaeffer
  • Art of Noise, Luigi Russolo 1913
  • Circle of Fire, A Sheffield Sound Map, Christ Watson 2014

Davies goal is “To try and capture what it was like to be a Liverpudlian growing up between 1945 when I was born, and when I left, which was 1973, and then contrasting it with the new city.” Consisting of archival clips he narrates his struggles and growing up in a city that, despite being the same thing (the church turned bar for example), his childhood feels like it's from a bygone era. 

Starting with this scene from childhood, Davies would secretly watch wrestling shows and would be “Choking with schoolboy guilt, and trembling with fear of wrath of god”. This might seem trivial today, as we all know most of wrestling is fake, but coming from a deeply religious family Davies isn't allowed to do this, and maybe to a certain extent maybe the boys in Liverpool? By showing something that isn't allowed for him, I have feel I know him personally, by knowing what is considered naughty. 12:50

12.46.png 

In this scene people carry out their daily chores with a grand choir music in the background. The music turns the monotonous chores into sacred rituals, like how shaving and simply waking up is gilded now. I feel part of this bittersweet behaviour response comes from the fact that they are antiqued now; nobody delivers milk in to the doorstep, or uses the wood oven, or even clean the front steps with that much vigour. These activities shed light on the lives of the working class people, whom Davies was one of them. 20:51

Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 01.51.01.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-16 at 01.50.44.png

Christmas is not exactly 'new' to me, but the way to 'properly' celebrate it (which I only got to experience this Christmas in Bury, St. Edmunds)  isn't just decorations and trees. As shown in this scene, people feast on exotic fruits, taking a loan to buy chicken, and being '"drenched in Chanel like his brothers and sisters just for this festive period. Despite the modest background portrayed in the scenes (and in real life), the characters underwent so much effort, and when Davies asks if we can feel the warmth of Christmas, I can.   24:40

Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 01.57.52.png

This scene serves as like a transition shifting from personal to a collective.  Britain was part of the UN forces sent to Korea, and we can see the brutality of the war from the frozen hands and soldiers in the snow, while ironically the jovial song He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother plays in the background. It creates a sense of camaraderie definitely, but when it shifts to soldiers marching, doing drills and saluting to superiors, Davies questions their involvement, and a sense of confusion in the public. In addition, when the scene is about the Queen's coronation, everything is in colour, then jumps back to black and white when it's about the common joe. Davies was obviously fed up with the government, and it can be said that the working class in Liverpool felt the same way too. 27:49 

Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 02.04.14.png  Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 02.04.37.png

When Davies said "They board in black and white, disembark in colour" with the scene on people arriving to  their holiday destination, it symbolises the changing of attitudes; specifically about his fellow Liverpudlians started opening up. For example, they "had hoped for paradise, [but gotten] amor mundi (love of the world)" instead, which means Liverpool despite becoming less and less home to him, is changing for the better.  42:10

Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 02.17.11.png 

People grow up and mature, but they forget that places grow as well; when people visit old places they expect it to stay the same, which is impossible because the place is populated by exactly the people who grow and mature. The city, Liverpool is just as alive as Davies himself, and this documentary is kind of like an eulogy to the old Liverpool.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2008/oct/13/terence-davies-time-and-the-city

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzcQvRtXnYg

HMH Pt.2 (Last of England)

Last of England '88, Jarman

• Different from Davies, because instead of viewing it from a narrative perspective, Jarman's is felt from the heart
  • Made in a period of turmoil and rebellion, Jarman rejected what a movie is normally supposed to be, and stuffed all the rebellious attitude and anti-politics of that era to create a charged atmosphere that defines what this movie is

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 18.05.25.png

• Firstly, this topless male first thrashed the painting Caravaggio's cupid painting before having sex with it
  • Subject aside, the camera movement rapidly zooms in and out while shaking in all directions
  • In the background a narrator recites a poem with prominent words including young men dying in Flanders, and the last of England

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 18.07.47.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-18 at 18.07.41.png

• Imagine rapidly switching between the two scenes above, one with a man with a tiara and a tutu and a what appears to be a nudist terrorist party with sparklers 
  • Layer this with a throbbing headache music and pulsating transitions, this scene is dense with energy
    •  raw, primal and confusion 
    • You have dancing topless ravers clad in just a balaclava in a dark red room, juxtaposing with a somewhat graceful weird dancing man, I don't understand what is going on, but I feel 'charged'

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 18.10.54.png

• A man eating raw cauliflower next to a barrel fire pit, with an tv house-channel ad playing in the background
  • Occasionally he vomits out the cauliflower mush 
  • Towards the very end, this black and white scene feels apocalyptic
    • the hobo-esque barrel pit, raw cauliflower with the drab background makes this scene devoid of hope

It's a very emotional and 'edgy' movie, and I learnt that approaching movies from a narrative perspective doesn't always work. I was frustrated because I was seeking meaning and narrative, in a place where Jarman was actively opposed to all established norms. Jarman truly made me realise what cinema of attraction really means, which is interesting because the purpose of cinematography started out as that. So in a way this movie is stripping film of its narrative connotations, back to the marvel of emotions being played on moving images.

HWH Pt. 3 Watson, Rossolo, Schaeffer

Chris Watson, Inside the Circle of Fire: A Sheffield Sound Map, 2013

Watson believes listening is a creative function. In his site specific installation, he creates a sound map of Sheffield, where he hopes familiar sounds, stripped out of their context can generate creativity. 

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 21.25.38.png

What's interesting is taking a sound out of its context, placing in a museum in a way that mirrors Sheffield, then seeing how people react to it. Movies are powerful because the video and sound are synced, now imagine it's just the sound without any visual input...As Watson puts it, it's not just nostalgia that they feel, but out of the cognitive dissonance something creative comes out.

http://www.museums-sheffield.org.uk/museums/millennium-gallery/exhibitions/past/inside-the-circle-of-fire-a-sheffield-sound-map

Luigi Russolo's Art of Noise 1913, and other stuff

Russolo, a Futurist himself believes the Industrial Revolution brought new sounds for us to hear. The speed, violence and sheer power of these machines made sounds never heard before, and that people lived in the silence back then. His manifesto Art of Noise is a landmark piece of text in sound, inside he explains the then-current instruments were lacking in their timbre and needed to branch out. Hence, he made Intonarumori, noise makers in Italian, acoustic devices that convey the vigour and energy produced by machines. In his manifesto, he set some rules down, all of them pertaining to breaking form the confines of classical instruments. I think the most important one is when he states the type of noise is infinite; man will always invent new ways to produce sound and mixing them all up in infinite. 

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 21.51.46.png

Sound isn't simply frequencies that oscillates molecules in the air forming pockets of compression and no compression that hits the eardrums which sends electric signals to the brain registering as tunes. Sound is always ingrained with other senses that we think of it as a byproduct, or just another confirmation for our senses. Russolo moves sound out of music, stating that they are the same then produces new sounds and calling it music too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYPXAo1cOA4

https://www.unknown.nu/futurism/noises.html

https://web.archive.org/web/20100305212012/http://120years.net/machines/futurist/art_of_noise.html

Pierre Schaeffer et al. @ Studio d'Essai on Musique concrete 1948

Schaeffer and his gang basically recorded daily noise in Paris, looped, spliced and manipulated tapes to make some 'sick beats'. Schaeffer tossed out the role of composer in a piece of music, added chance and randomness into the mix to produce what can be called the earliest electronic music (as the sound was translate onto tapes). 

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 22.14.00.png

Schaeffer basically pioneered early electronic music, and getting sound from the environment for his compositions. 

http://ears2.dmu.ac.uk/learning-object/musique-concrete/

https://www.britannica.com/art/musique-concrete

HWH Pt.1

After the critique we did a little exercise where we condensed our HMH project into 30 minutes; record somebody talking, then with that recording make a double page spread design, at the same time using the language of design to minimise picture use. 

Language of Design (how to tell without/minimise the use of pictures)

• colour
  • font
  • shape
  • space of text (layout)
  • material
    • (project specific)
      • paper material
      • production value (binding, presentation, look)

Looking at examples of layout from Fantastic Man and 1 Granary, I found out that pictures usually dominate an entire page. The texts are separated by line division, colour or slightly larger size or different font. In my own design of the spread, I originally arranged the text in a way that resembles the pictures, however I realised it would be easier to read if I just divided them up by line. This exercise was quite helpful, before the project even started I am already planning the look, presentation and the overall feel of the my publication (even before the content!). When placing text for example, there is a way to make it feel premium, and not cheap like text box in Pages, and the attention to the spaces between the text and dividers and borders are all so minute yet so important. But most importantly pictures are the last thing to be placed on a spread, because a picture demands attention and space, and in a publication real estate is quite expensive... In other words text first then pictures.

Moving on, since this project is specifically talking about how cities can shape our experiences, this got to be personal. This publication needs to encapsulate my views/experience of how the city shaped me, and the primary input is sound. 

All my life (well mostly) I've lived in the suburbs, the suburbs of Shanghai to be precise, that's 15 years of pollution smelling to be even more precise. The city or downtown is always just 20~30 minutes away by taxi, and for that reason I only go there once a week. The locals would consider the municipal area I live in a town, however I really feel it's like a hamlet; my school houses the biggest population within an enclosed area and so services and other amenities just spring up around there, and being just 10 minutes away from home, I live in my school's sphere of influence. My identity mirrors more of my school's ethos, rather than the passports that I own, and for that reason I feel the city of Shanghai is kind of my country. 

Back in Shanghai, Singapore or Taipei I have the habit of carving out a 'safe' spot for myself, an area that I can claim for myself and where I enjoy being there. What started out as simple exploring turned into something my friend and I called quests, and from there my habit of claiming land in sovereign nations started. 

I decided to document spots that I can claim in London. I plan to incorporate automatic drawing, concept of sounds in relationship with their visual and audio counterparts (spatial awareness) and sonic landscaping. 

HWH Pt.2

Pauline went over how to reflect properly and time management with me today; basically I need to reflect everyday and on 'up close' subjects, for example how is my notation turning into 3D a good thing. I also found out that I need to fully embrace risk taking in my works, and not make that feeling of unease dampen my creativity. I also need to interrogate myself regularly if I am putting something off, which is interesting because less than a year ago I was still in the army, and all I needed to do was listen to orders and pass it down to my men. In other words, I don't have the luxury of time to reflect properly, and I performed more of a balancing act, cater to my men's needs and my commander's. Whereas now back in school I have to do this 180, and I only wish I realised this earlier, because portfolios are just a few weeks away. Onto to the project itself, I experimented with automatic drawing and recording stuff in Hampstead. Talking to Michelle yesterday, she said how graphic notation, translating the unseen to seen, is similar to mediumship where people get possessed and do stuff under the influence of spirits. It's amazing how sound, a crazy mix of different frequencies can have a lasting impact given its temporal nature. I want to translate it, I want to grab it and make sure it stays somewhere permanent, I mean that's why we have onomatopoeia right? I started the drawings with me walking, running, squatting and jumping all on a sheet while I held onto the pen. The result looked like overlapping blind drawings of fruits, because I was moving quickly and used quite a big range of motion the lines were clustered but never overlapping too much for the ink to seep through and make a blob. The bus and tube ride was the opposite, the lines were slow and had numerous spots where the pen just stayed there. The lines either directly translated my body movements or under the influence of something else (being in a vehicle), and I wondered if I can capture sound the same way. Once I claimed my place in Hampstead, I tied pens and markers to trees to capture their marks on the paper below as the wind blew. I know why Cage was such a big fan of chance now, the thrill of not knowing what will happen is exciting, and the unexpected things that do happen in between the piece adds depth to it. For example, halfway somebody's pet dog grabbed and chewed on my masking tape roll, so after that I had to physically stand on my paper to hold it there. Another incident was this rowdy child grabbed the pen and jabbed in the ground, I got apologies from the parent and the saboteur but now my piece has an element of dirt to it. But my favourite one is the marker version, because you can see how long the marker has been in the same spot and when the wind blows the lines directly translated the wind. Taking it a step further I need to get a bigger piece of paper and some weights to hold both the pen and paper down. I can also add things that roll so they can capture the wind too. My spots around the world all have open space-ness in common. The skies must be visible and the surrounding secluded, but not devoid of life. You will also need to be able to hear bit of traffic, and if you need to crash it has shelter too. Those are all the physical qualities to it, but deep inside it needs to be a place that I discovered myself.

HWH Pt.3

After stressing and running around like a headless chicken from realising the work I need to do for my portfolio, I peacefully transcribed the sound I captured around Hampstead chapel the day before. Given that I spent 40 hours on this type of activity before, I played with layering colours to represent the warmth of some noises: a car in the background with footsteps I would have a grey blob with black lines over it. I like how instead of simply making thick marks onto the paper, I considered the length, detail, weight, and the thickness of lines to produce the sound on paper. Next step I can try to make it more coherent, as these sounds all originated from one place, it would make sense to form them up into a solid entity. This is simply for stylistic effects, so it doesn’t really matter.

From the two A2 sheets of paper I made a simple 8-fold-1-cut book with a cover. This gave me a rough idea of the weight, dimension and look of the publication. I did like the weight, but the 8-fold books can’t lay flat completely, and to utilise all the pages I would need to cut the pages that are connected, and that is risky.

Umberto + Tim super pointers:

A simple idea executed properly is the most important thing, no need to embellish it with complicated bookbinding techniques.

To tell a message subtly is good, and should be enough. I overcomplicate things.

Constructive feedback on my project:

I want to locate and claim safe spots in London, it’s something that I do in the cities I lived in. Basically, to enhance my project I can consider placing the reader in the environment. I can have little botany labels in locations I claimed.

For the layout, I can have a page with the automated drawing then the other a picture of the installation. On the bottom, I can have a label of text explaining some things or in the beginning, basically the point is to have just enough text to give an idea of what’s going on, and not to beat the reader in the head with it.

My next step is to find 4 more locations (in total 5), and to plan out the layout, and paper choice. The layout will take some time because I need to plan the cover, type of book and sort out the logistics of printing and stuff

HWH Pt.4

HWH project

Today I went out to photograph my installation in three places. I was first unsatisfied which the results of the first two drawings, at how straight and the lines were or where they concentrated at. However I realised it was quite irrational to be upset about chance, especially when the piece depends on the direction of the marker. Yes, the placement of the marker and paper can be better for the first two, but ultimately I need to be open with uncertainty in my works. What's left now is to photograph and draw at two more locations, which will give me five double spread sheets of content. 

Right now I'm concerned about the format of the shots I took, because I only have a SLR, I can only review the shots after I develop of all them. Therefore, I plan to finish my shooting Sunday morning so I have enough time to develop and reshoot. 

Window on the world (redo)

At the same time I have planned a more refined version of my box I made earlier this year. I will be focusing on the build, and making the interior more uniform with foil, acetate and reflective card. My main goal is to make users look through it, rather than determine what's inside the box. With that in mind, I made the eyepiece smaller than the hole they look out of, and also lined the interior with materials that distort light. 

I plan to finish the box by Wednesday (24th), so I can photography it the day after. I will need to complete both projects within this time.

HWH Pt.5

Today I went off to Hampstead to wrap up my shots and installations. I originally planned to finish up my shots before it starts to snow...however once I got to Christ Church it first started to rain, then snow, and my paper was exposed to the elements for a good 30 minutes. I was expecting a bit of gust during the snow, however the marker stayed stationary which left a little black dot in the middle of the paper. Obviously the paper was saturated too, and I actually like the rough texture of the paper once it has dried, I'm not sure the scanner will pick up the details however. The uneven surface sets this piece from the rest; despite only leaving a black dot, the marker leaving its mark, this time the paper itself comes into the picture and documented the environment around it too. 

After the church I discovered a small cafe, that allowed me to set up my installation inside. Despite being the same size as my dorm's pantry, the flow of customers is constant, so I thought it would be nice to document the people's movements inside of the wind's. I set my paper right outside the toilet, which was also next to the staff's storage area. This place has no natural wind, however whenever somebody enters the area and either moves around or step over my paper, it will cause the string to move. 

What I didn't expect was somebody asking me what I was doing. A waitress told me she initially thought it was a trap, because she works here and when something unfamiliar appears she recognised it as a threat. She told me it's interesting that just a marker and paper can be intrusive. This made me realise, it's not only the marks that show the presence of something, but the empty areas can show too. For example the empty bits could be the waitress or other customers' thought of the piece, and whether they decided to skirt around it, look at it from a distance, or tremble at its menacing presence, their conjectures did not the marker. 

Wow, reflection does work! Previously I was thinking of shrinking the images so all the drawings are the same size, but now the silence/empty bits are equally important. Now the next step is to scan the film and drawings so I can start with the design of my publication.